A Step-by-Step Plan for your United Way Campaign!
What is Campaign in a Bag?
“Campaign in a Bag” is a one-week United Way campaign; with activities planned for each day (five business days) complete with step-by-step instructions. Everything you need to accomplish this campaign plan will be delivered to you in a bag (supplement to your campaign kit), or delivered to you by staff/co-workers!
Who Should Use Campaign in a Bag?
- First-time Employee Campaign Coordinators
- Busy Employee Campaign Coordinators
- Anybody who wants to run a fun and successful campaign but needs a little extra help.
- DAY ONE: Kick off meeting
- DAY TWO: Begin silent auction
- DAY THREE: Begin baby photo contest
- DAY FOUR: Give away United Way items or sell t-shirt cutouts for $1.00
- DAY FIVE: Wrap up
To-Do List 1-2 weeks before
- Schedule a Kick-off meeting for a Monday. If this is not possible, ask your supervisor to give you some time during a staff/safety meeting.
- Ask your supervisor to speak for a couple minutes about why s/he supports United Way.
- Plan your United Way campaign kick-off meeting, using our Sample Meeting Agenda.
- Schedule a United Way speaker to give a brief presentation during your meeting https://www.uwswac.org/speaker-request
- Order your FREE logo items (https://www.uwswac.org/free-logo-items). Order enough pens, post-it notes, lapel pins, post cards and book markers for each employee. (While supplies last. Items will be substituted.) Also order extra posters if needed.
- Reserve a copy of the Campaign Video: https://www.uwswac.org/order-campaign-video
- Email employees about the Silent Auction and Baby Photo Contest (and T-shirt cut outs if applicable).
- Download and print:
Day One – Monday
- Take the campaign posters from your kit and hang them around your building. If you need more, be sure to order beforehand.
- Hold your United Way campaign kick-off meeting.
- Hand out pledge cards and brochures to each employee.
- Have your supervisor show his/her support.
- Have a United Way speaker present to give another perspective.
- Show the campaign video.
- If you like, you can:
- Do a drawing for a lottery ticket for each employee who fills out a pledge card and hands it in at the end of the day.
- Give away a free vacation day for a certain giving level (for example, one hour’s pay per month).
- Announce the Silent Auction and Baby Photo Contest (and T-shirt cut outs if applicable).
- Ask employees to bring a “white elephant” item to give away for the silent auction from Tuesday through Friday.
- If your company has logo items, ask your supervisor to donate some for the silent auction as well.
Day Two- Tuesday
- Begin your silent auction:
- Put the items on display in the break room with “bidding sheets” for each item.
- Be sure to set a starting bid.
- Donate the proceeds to United Way at the end.
- Ask each employee/manager to bring in a photograph of themselves as a baby/child for Wednesday’s activity.
Day Three- Wednesday
- Hold your baby photo contest
- Make photo copies and return them.
- On a poster board/bulletin board post the baby photos and number them.
- Using the “Baby Contest Voting Ballots” have staff guess who is who and have a prize for the employee who guesses the most correct answers.
- Be sure to charge an entry fee for each employee who plays the game and donate that to United Way.
- Continue until Friday.
Day Four- Thursday
- Place a pen/post-it note set on each employee’s desk/work area. If you like, buy a jumbo bag of candy and place a piece of candy with the items.
- Print the t-shirt cut-outs and collect $1.00 from each employee who signs one. Pin them to a bulletin board or tape to the wall in your break room for all to see!
Day Five - Friday
- Tally the winner(s) of the “Silent Auction” and “Baby Photo Contest” and announce to the staff.
- Collect money from the Silent Auction.
- Distribute the Silent Auction items and prize from the Baby Photo Contest.
- Remind staff to hand in their pledge cards.
- Flip the campaign posters around to the “thank you” poster.
- For each employee who made a United Way contribution, place a lapel pin and thank you post card or book marker on each employee’s desk/work area.
- Send an email blast to each employee thanking everyone for a fun and successful campaign!