Every month thousands of people across Wisconsin turn to 2-1-1 for information and support—whether financial, domestic, health or disaster-related. 2-1-1 is a simple, free, confidential referral and information helpline and website that link people from all communities and ages to the essential health and human services they need, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. By dialing 2-1-1 or visiting the website from anywhere in the state of Wisconsin, people are linked to information about local resources, from both government and nonprofit organizations. From the single parent seeking food for their children to the senior citizen looking for in-home care, 2-1-1 brings people and community resources together.
“2022 saw an increase of over 300 calls from the previous year. This increase means that people are helping us spread the word on how 2-1-1 can help people in the community.” said Amy Fluno 2-1-1 Program Director. “ It feels great to be able to help those struggling find services that can help their situation feel a little less dire.”
Help us celebrate and promote this great service offered right here in our community on February 11th! You can help by using 2-1-1 when you have community questions and by telling your friends and family to so the same. There are also 2-1-1 marketing materials to share with the community.
In Wisconsin Rapids, Mayor Shane Blaser has officially proclaimed February 11, 2023 as “2-1-1 Day” as well.
In 2018, the 2-1-1 Wisconsin Addiction Recovery Helpline was established to connect people with local treatment services and recovery resources for any kind of substance use disorder, from opioids and methamphetamines to alcohol. With this dedicated line to helping those with addiction we have answered over 20,000 calls statewide. The service is available to anyone, including people struggling themselves or those reaching out to help someone else.
People can reach the Helpline by dialing 2-1-1 or 833-944-4673. The service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. More information is available at www.addictionhelpwi.org.
United Way’s 2-1-1 also offers TEXTING SERVICES as a way to find resources in our community. You can text your zip code to 898211 to get local resources sent right to your phone. Texting is available from 8am-4pm Monday through Friday.
“Texting 2-1-1 is an easy way to get local resources when you need them.,” said Amy Fluno. “Text us today to get help in your area”.
FACTS ABOUT UNITED WAY’S 2-1-1
· There are 8 contact centers in the state of Wisconsin. Every county in Wisconsin is covered by one of these contact centers.
· In Wood County, 2-1-1 is a partnership between United Way of South Wood & Adams Counties and Marshfield Area United Way; and covers 13 counties from Ashland County to Juneau County.
· Each call is answered by a real person – a Resource Specialist that has been trained in navigating the maze of human service programs.
· Non-English speakers are assisted through a telephone interpreting service.
· In south Wood County and Adams Counties we answered 4,931 calls in 2022 and the top three needs where:
1. Housing and Shelter
2. Healthcare and COVID-19
3. Mental Health and Addiction
HOW TO CONNECT WITH UNITED WAY’S 2-1-1
· Dial 2-1-1 on your phone and you will be routed to the nearest contact center.
· If you have trouble getting connected, call our toll free number at 877-947-2211.
· Text your zip code to 898211.
· Visit our database of community resources at www.uwswac.org/2-1-1.
· All calls are FREE, confidential and available 24/7.
Wisconsin Rapids Mayor Shane Blaser recently proclaimed February 11, 2023 “2-1-1 Day.” Pictured here are Mayor Blaser and Amy Fluno, 2-1-1 Program Director.